More about me
Ilaria Bartolini was born on January 9th, 1973. She got her degree
in Computer Science at the University
of Bologna (Italy) on October 16th, 1997 discussing the thesis
"WaDer: A middleware system for modeling and searching the Web" (advisor Prof. Paolo Ciaccia).
In the same year she received a fellowship and spent the period November 1997 until May 1998 at
CWI (Centrum voor
Wiskunde en Informatica) of Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
as a junior researcher in the area of MultiMedia DataBase research
(advisor Prof. Martin Kersten).
In 1998 she joined the MultiMediaDataBase Group at DISI (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering):
- On February 28th, 2002 she received the title of Ph.D. in Electronic and Computer Science Engineering from the University of Bologna defending the thesis "Efficient and Effective Similarity Search in Image Databases"
- From March 2002 to March 2005, she had a three years position as researcher with research topic "Data Mining for Multimedia Databases"
- From April 2005 to September 2014, she had a permanent position as Assistant Professor at DISI
- In 2012 she obtained the national qualification for a position of Associate Professor
- From October 2012 to May 2015 she was member of the Department's Executive Board
- Since September 2014, she has a permanent position as Associate Professor at DISI; her scientific research primarily concerns the effective and efficient management of multimedia data and mainly takes place within the MultiMedia DataBase Group, where she coordinates the activities of her students
- Since February 2017, she has been member of the ARCES Center of Excellence on Electronic Systems for ICT, inside the University of Bologna
- Since March 2017, she has been member of the Doctoral programme Academic Board of the PhD in Computer Science and Engineering, University of Bologna
- In April 2017 (first quarter) she obtained the national qualification for a position of Full Professor
- Since September 2017 she has been member of the "Gruppo Tematico di Ateneo ICT" (GTA ICT)
- Since January 2018 she has been delegated as a representative of the Alma Mater in the Big Data Value Association (BDVA)
Abroad research experiences
From November 1997 to May 1998 she was visiting junior researcher at CWI (Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica) of Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
with research topic “Icons databases” (advisor Prof. Martin Kersten).
From January 2003 to April 2003 she was visiting researcher at the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) of Newark (NJ - USA) with research topic "Unified
Access Methods for Heterogeneous and Distributed Virtual Catalogs" (advisor Prof. Vincent Oria). For this work she also interacted with
Prof. M. Tamer Özsu and Prof. Lei Chen, with whom a collaboration has been started.
In September 2006 she visited NJIT working with Prof. Vincent Oria.
From January 2008 to April 2008 she was visiting the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) working with Prof. Dimitris Papadias.
From September 2010 to November 2010 she was visiting the HKUST working with Prof. Dimitris Papadias and Prof. Lei Chen.
From September 2012 to November 2012 she was visiting the HKUST working with Prof. Dimitris Papadias.
In September 2013 she was in Monitoring Visit within the Erasmus Program at the UPV Universitat Politècnica de València on behalf of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Bologna.
From November 2015 to December 2015 she was visiting the HKUST working with Prof. Dimitris Papadias.